How to Convert lbs to kg?
Pound or Kilogram, both are the measuring units for weight or mass and are represented by (lbs) and (kg) in the SI (System International) units’ scheme. The pound (lbs) can be defined as an imperial unit that is most commonly used in the Americas. On the other hand, Kilogram (kg) can be defined as a metric unit that is often used in most of European and Asian countries.
When it comes to conversion of Pounds in Kilograms i.e., lbs in kg, there are a number of ways to do that as per your requirement. However, as a general rule of thumb for pounds to kilos conversion, remember that;
- One pound is equal to 0.454 kilograms
- One kilogram is equal to 2.2046 pounds
Though there can be many ways for Pounds to kg conversion, three methods are the most popular ones. Here’s a brief description of them.
In the division method used to convert lbs to kg, follow the simple steps;
- Take the exact number to be converted from pounds to kilos
- Divide that number by 2.2046
- Using the standard equation, you have your amount in pounds converted to kilograms
For instance, if one has to convert 50 lbs to kg, 50 would be divided by 2.2046 and that equals 22.67985 kg approximately. In the same manner, if one wants to convert 200 pounds to kilograms, the amount in kg would be obtained by dividing 200 by 2.2046 i.e., resulting in 90.71940 kg approximately.
In the multiplication method used to convert pounds to kg;
- Take the exact number of pounds to be converted
- Multiply that amount by 0.454
- You have your amount in lbs converted to kg
For instance, if you want to convert 50 lbs to kg, 50 would be multiplied by 0.454 and that equals 22.67985 kg approximately
In a similar manner, to convert 200 pounds to kilograms, the amount in kg would be obtained by multiplying 200 by 0.454 i.e., resulting in 90.71940 kg approximately.
Rounding off method
Not a conversion method per se, but it is what you can use after converting your number from pounds to kg. Rounding off refers to simplifying/shortening the amount up to two decimal places. For instance, if your answer for lbs to kg conversion is 22.67985, it can be rounded off as 22.68. Similarly, 90.71940 can be rounded off to 90.72. Remember that you must avoid rounding the numbers before your pounds in kg conversion for obvious reasons. It should only be done after the final result is obtained.
The Formula for Converting Pounds to Kilograms
For converting your amount in Pounds to kilograms, there are two formulas.
The division formula to convert lbs to kg is;
(Your amount in Pounds (X lbs) )/2.2046=Amount in Kilograms (Y kg)
In this equation, the amount in lbs is divided by 2.2046 to obtain the same amount in kg.
The multiplication formula used for pounds to kilos conversion is;
Amount in Pounds ( X lbs)×0.454=Amount in Kilograms (Y kg)
In this equation, the amount in lbs is multiplied by 0.454 to obtain the same amount in kg.
How to Use the lbs to kg Converter Calculator?
In order to make lbs to kg conversion easy and convenient for our users, we offer a web-based converter for the purpose. So that you can easily enter your amount in pounds and get instantly converted into kilograms in real-time.
You can use our lbs to kg converter calculator by;
- Going to our official website at https://lbs-to-kg.co.uk
- On the homepage, you would find the calculator integrated at the top
- In the dialogue box, enter your amount in Pounds (lbs)
- Get conversion in Kilograms (kg) instantly in the next dialogue box
What is a Pound?
- The pound can be defined as the unit of mass that is not only used in the British Imperial system but also in the United States customary system
- Its SI unit is represented by the lb
- 1 lb is equal to 0.45359237 kilograms to be exact
What is a Kilogram?
- A kilogram can be defined as a unit of mass that is most commonly used in the International System of Units for metric systems in Europe and Asia
- It is widely used in the fields of science, engineering as well as commerce across the globe
- Its SI unit is represented by kg or kilo which equals one thousand grams
- 1 kg is equivalent to 2.205 lbs approximately
General information about lbs to kg
- The lbs to kg conversion are done mostly for the weight of the items that we use in our daily lives and it doesn’t have an application beyond that.
- All of the scientific equations are performed using the kilograms measuring scheme rather than pounds.
- Though both Pounds and kilograms are the units for measuring mass; the former one refers to an imperial system of measuring while the latter was adopted under the International System of Units in 1959.
- Originally, in 1795, a kilogram was defined as the ‘mass of one liter of water’. However, in 1799, it was replaced as the standard of mass by platinum Kilogramme des Archives.
- The term referring to the ‘pound’ dates back to its origin as a result of Charlemagne's reform with regard to currency in the Frankish Empire. However, the lbs (meaning of weight) is derived from the Latin word “pondus” happening to be the ‘unit of weight’.
Difference between Kilograms and Pounds
- Pound (lb) remains an imperial unit of mass/weight measurement while Kilogram (kg) is a metric unit of mass/weight measurement
- A pound is abbreviated as ‘lb’ or ‘lbm’ while a kilogram’s abbreviation is ‘kg’ or ‘kilo’
- One pound is equivalent to 0.4535 kg, however, one kilogram equals 2.2046 lbs
- The pound is a word of German origin while kilogram is derived from the Greek dictionary
- Measurement of weight/mass in pounds is mostly used in countries like the U.S. and UK. On the other hand, the rest of the countries mostly utilize kilograms as their primary measuring system
- For a general rule of thumb, A kilogram (kg) is usually said to be 2.2 times heavier than a Pound (lbs)
Examples for Converting Lbs to Kg
In order to convert 100 pounds to kilograms by division;
(100 lbs )/2.2046=45.3597 kg
So, the amount can be rounded off as 45.36 kg.
In order to convert 100 pounds to kilograms by multiplication;
100 lbs×0.454=45.4 kg
So, the rounded-off amount comes exactly to 45.4 kg for 100 pounds by the multiplication method.
In this way, you can convert any amount in lbs to kg quite efficiently.
What is the fastest way to convert kg to lbs?
If we compare the two methods i.e., conversion by division and conversion by multiplication for lbs in kg, the multiplication method is said to be the fastest.
Want to know an even faster way to convert kg to lbs? Use our web-based Pounds to kilograms calculator and get results immediately.
Frequently Asked Question
What is an lb to kg calculator?
lbs to kg calculator can be defined as a program or a device developed to simplify the process of conversion for the user. For instance, our website-based lbs to kg calculator utilize a built-in program to help you deliver instantaneous conversion results.
Why is pounds called lbs?
The word "pound" itself is of ancient Roman origin when the unit of measure used to be ‘libra pondo’ meaning (a pound by weight). Though the English part of the word "pound" draws from the ‘pondo’ part of that phrase, the abbreviation "lb" is a derivation from ‘libra’ part of the phrase. That’s why the SI unit for pounds is ‘lbs’.
How to calculate pounds to kilograms?
In order to calculate pounds to kilograms you can either;
- Multiply the amount in pounds by 0.454 and get the kilogram equivalent of that amount
- You can divide the amount in pounds with 2.2046 and get the desired conversion in kg of that amount
How many kilograms in a pound?
To be exact, 1 pound (lb) is equivalent to 0.45359237 kilograms (kg).
Is 2lb the same as 1 kg?
No, contrary to the popular belief, 2 lbs are not the same as 1kg. The reason for it is that 2 lbs are a unit of measure of weight in the imperial system, while kg is a unit of measure of weight in the metric system.
Since 1 lb is equivalent to 0. 45359237 kg, 2 lbs are still equal to 0.90718474 approximately and not equivalent to 1 kg. However, 2.2lb can be said to be the same as 1 kg.
What is the meaning of 1 lb?
1 lb is a unit of measuring mass or weight in the imperial system and equals 0.4535 kg (kilograms).
Is 1 kg equal to 2 lbs?
No, 1 kg is not equal to 2 lbs but 2.2 lbs. It is wrong to assume that 1 kg equals 2 lbs.
How many kg means 1 pound?
The kilogram equivalent of 1 pound is 0.4535 kg. So, for every pound, there is 0.4535 kg.
Convert 1 lbs to common mass
|Microgram||453592370.0 µg||Milligram||453592.37 mg||Gram||453.59237 g|
|Ounce||16.0 oz||Pound||1.0 lbs||Kilogram||0.45359237 kg|
|Stone||0.0714285714 st||US ton||0.0005 ton||Tonne||0.0004535924 t|
|Imperial ton||0.0004464286 Long tons|